Friday, October 15, 2010

Manny- a true hero

Manny is 21 years old and in the Marines. A little while back, he was fighting like everyone else, in 115+ degree weather. Someone was watching Manny and he was fully unaware of what was about to happen to him in a few moments. He walked past a post. The person that was watching him, had planned everything. Just as Manny was walking by, a [homemade] Bomb exploded. He screamed "They got me, they got me!". Manny described the moment as clear as he remembers it- He said, "When it exploded, I wasn't thinking about what just happened. I kept telling them that they got me. I wasn't thinking about my world being over. I didn't think that way."


They came to Manny's rescue. He was flown to Germany where he was taken in for surgery. Manny had lost his hearing, eye sight and his arm. Everyone was so terrified. They all thought Manny was not going to make it. He had lost so much blood. When he came back to the states, His family arrived a hour later. Manny's mother never left his side. There he was taken into Surgery. Manny had multiple surgeries on his left ear, arm and stomach. His sight is back and the healing process is quick and easy. He hasn't yet regained all hearing in his left ear but Manny doesn't take No for an answer.


During the time that Manny was in Afghanistan, he always put his friends first. When they would take their boots off at 6, he would stay up to see if he was needed. At Midnight he would take off his boots and, once more, look out to see if he was needed. He would go to sleep every night for a couple of hours and make sure to wake up one hour before his guys. Manny looked out for them. If they were to go out and were really tired, Manny would go for them while they get rest. If they were hungry, Manny would give them his food. If he saw someone who needed help farming, he would take off gear and turn his switch off to help them. Then once he started getting shot at, he would quickly turn on his switch again and fight. The children would ask Manny for food or chocolate. Something to keep them going. They would also pray to Allah five times a day and Manny respected that. He wasn't afraid to put other people first. He talks about the accident like it was nothing. Because Manny doesn't let stuff like that bring him down. Its not the end of the world, he says. Manny is a hero.

Manny is healing very quick. His accident should have took 6 months to heal, instead it took 3 months. Manny is proof that GOD IS GREAT. He is proof that miracles do exist. When we were leaving, I went up to Manny, shook his hand and said "Thank You.." I meant it with everything I had. I wouldn't usually do that but there is a HERO in Manny. He amazes me and I am so grateful that I got to meet him. Everyone, please say a prayer for Manny and his family. I hope you were inspired by this young man as much as I was.

"Your body has no limitations." - Manny
------

I would not be here tonight, if I had to choose.
It's always the bigger things in life that seem to choose you.
You can say what you want.
Believe what you will believe
But I'll take what I want, and see what I need to see.


Thank You Marlene for letting me know about Manny. His stength inspires me so much. xo

1 comment:

  1. melly this is amazing! when manny started talking about what he did and saying that no was the worst thing you could get told. his an ammzing person and im so glad you worte this know i'll never forget yesturday! love you melly, Victoria!

    ReplyDelete